Vista on Xp Based domain server
Gerrit
2007-12-13 14:10:01 UTC
Is it possible to use a Laptop with Vista Home Premium as OS on a XP based
domain controller.
Roger Southgate
2008-01-22 14:28:40 UTC
Hi Gertit,

This is the correct Newsgroup for you post (Windows XP)

A 'Domain Controller' would need to have server software installed on it
(ie) Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003,etc - so 'Windows XP' cannot
be a domain controller.

Having said that, to answer what (I assume) you real question is: Can the
laptop with Vista access files on the Windows XP machine ?
The answer is yes, a Vista machine and an XP machine should be able to 'see'
each other without any problems and access files on one another.

Also bear in mind that Vista disables network sharing (for security
reasons) - so you'll want to start by enabling that
Start>Control Panel>Network & Sharing Center>Sharing & Discovery>Network
Discovery (On)

If you don't manage to resolve the issue by yourself, please reply back
here - or call us on: 0860 22 55 67 and the desktop engineers can assist you
with further troubleshooting...

Kind Regards,
Roger
domain controller.
c***@hotmail.com
2008-03-05 22:33:14 UTC
Based on what I know about the topic, there is no way to have a "Home
Edition" version of OS join to a domain, because those not contain the
features needed to work as part of a domain.